Wednesday 24 April 2013

A Christian Science childhood

I also recall breaking my arm when I was very young. I regained consciousness after my fall to see my parents' heads leaning over me and to hear them both bitterly arguing as to whether I should be taken to the hospital (my father's wish) or whether to call a Christian Science practitioner (my mother's wish). I was in a lot of pain and couldn't stop crying. Overnight, the pain was unbearable and I was still crying the next morning....  I shall post more on this saga, later.

 I can commiserate with Ben's memories over his brother's broken arm.

As a young child, we studied Christian Science for at least an hour, sometimes two hours, every morning. It was miserable for me, as I could hear all my friends playing outside. They had given up knocking on the door and asking me to join them! It all served to effect an isolationism from people around us.

Does anyone else recall a childhood in Christian Science?

No comments: